This chicken enchiladas recipe is simply perfect! Made with a red enchilada sauce, green chilies and white onion. These easy enchiladas are packed with tons of flavors, tender chunks of chicken and a bunch of melted cheese!
*this post may contain affiliate links and ads that help support my blog
For the chicken enchiladas I usually dice boneless skinless chicken breasts and sauté them. Feel free to save some time and use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken!
Tools you’ll need for this recipe
Simply Perfect Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tsp of both salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into small 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 (15 oz ) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can black olives (optional, but recommended)
- 7-8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese( I used cheddar and pepper jack)
- optional toppings: fresh cilantro, chopped red onions, diced avocado, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk the flour together and allow to bubble for 1 minute. Pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, cumin, 1/2 tsp of both salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- In another large sauce pan, heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add diced chicken and green chiles, and season with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the mixture for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is cooked through. Add in the beans and olives (save a few for toppings) and stir until evenly combined. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To assemble evenly spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Lay out a tortilla on a cutting board and spread two spoonful of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add a generous spoonful of the chicken mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla, then sprinkle with cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in baking dish(seem side down). Assemble the remaining enchiladas. Then spread any remaining sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas, add any extra cheese and the remaining olives.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until the enchiladas are cooked through and slightly crispy on the outside. Sprinkle chopped cilantro or preferred toppings and enjoy!
If you are like me, oven-baked dinners are my Go-To recipes to make during the week. Check out one of my favorite oven baked recipes—— Hawaiian roll cuban sliders! You will not be disappointed. <3