Even Without Meat, This Tomato Jam & Zucchini Panini is A delicious hot Sandwich filled with cheese, italian herbed zucchini, tomato jam, and a garlic mayo. Could it get better than that?
*this post may contain affiliate links for products i love which helps support my blog!
Not only is it great for lunch or dinner, but it’s delicious and is great served with a salad or my favorite, french fries! Check out my favorite french fry seasoning recipe here.
I actually do not like tomatoes, which makes it crazy that I LOVE this tomato jam recipe. Using Balsamic vinegar and sugar to caramelize the onions and tomato adds a beautiful flavor.
Tomato Jam & Zucchini Panini Recipe
recipe is for 2, double if needed
- Monterey Jack shredded and mozzarella (or your favorite cheese)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1-2 Roma Tomato finely diced
- 1 tsp homemade Italian Seasoning
- 3-4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Sourdough or ciabatta bread, 4 slices total
- 1/2 tsp white granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise with 1 tsp of chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper and then save for the end(refrigerate).
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato, 1 TBSP vinegar , ½ tsp sugar and 2 TBSP water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up tomato, until mixture is thickened and jammy, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and wash out pan.
- Toss zucchini in a medium bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper. Once tomato jam is done, heat a drizzle of olive oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini in a single layer. Cook until golden brown , 2-4 minutes per side. Turn off heat; transfer to a plate.
- Spread cut sides of half the bread with garlic mayo. Spread cut sides of remaining bread with tomato jam. Fill with even layers of zucchini and cheese and close sandwiches.
- Toast your sandwiches in a conventional oven or heat a drizzle of olive oil in pan used for zucchini over medium heat pressing occasionally, until bread is toasted and cheese melts, 2-4 minutes per side. Serve with your favorite side dish like potato wedges and enjoy!
Check out my favorite potato wedge seasoning recipe to pair with this panini recipe!